This recipe comes from our owner Felipe Martin, using our organic, extra virgin olive oil. This is the perfect appetizer when hosting guests, and a real crowd pleaser if we do say so ourselves 😉 It is also what we offer at wine tastings! While we use our pizza oven to bake this, you can absolutely achieve the same delicious results with your oven!
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105 degrees F), divided
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 ½ teaspoons himalayan salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Wolfe Heights Extra Virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for Drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar in ½ cup of the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top (do not mix) and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup water, flour, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ cup of the olive oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated and the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough out onto a well-floured board and knead until smooth (about 5 minutes). Add any additional flour as needed to avoid the dough sticking.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Roll the dough into a ball and place it in your oiled bowl, turning the dough ball to coat with the oil. Cover the dough loosely with a damp dish towel, and let the dough rise for 45 minutes.
- After your dough has risen, coat the bottom sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the dough in the skillet and press it evenly into the bottom of the pan. Use a sharp knife to score the top lightly in a crisscross pattern. Brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle the garlic and rosemary over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon of himalayan salt. Let this rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- While you wait for the dough to rise, preheat the oven to 400F and position the baking rack in the center.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, until the crust is a light golden color. Remove from the pan immediately and place on a wire rack to retain the crisp crust. Brush a bit more olive oil over the top and slice into 8 wedges. Serve warm.